Filing a complaint

Do you have a complaint about the General Intelligence and Security Service (AIVD) or the Military Intelligence and Security Service (MIVD)? Then you must first file your complaint with the minister concerned.

This is the Minister of the Interior and Kingdom Relations (BZK) where it concerns the AIVD and the Minister of Defence where it concerns the MIVD. You will find more information on the websites of the AIVD and the Ministry of Defence. If you are dissatisfied with how your complaint was handled, you can apply to the CTIVD.

Under certain circumstances you may report the complaint to the CTIVD directly, such as when you cannot be reasonably expected to first file the complaint with the minister. That situation might arise if the relationship between you and the service in question has been severely damaged. You must be able to substantiate this however.

You can file your complaint with the CTIVD by letter or e-mail. You must provide at least the following information:

  • your name and email or post address;
  • the date;
  • a description of your complaint (what happened, who was involved and who was the conduct aimed at?);
  • the grounds for the complaint (what is the basis for your complaint?);
  • how the internal complaints handling proceeded (how and when did you file the complaint with the minister concerned, what was the result of the complaints handling , what were its conclusions and decision?).

Please indicate a phone number we can use to contact you.

If you have any questions about filing a complaint you can also contact the CTIVD on telephone number 070 - 315 58 20.